Eastern Arizona College
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 19, 2023
By Callie Walters
EAC’s Music Department invites public to join Handel’s Messiah
THATCHER, AZ—The Department of Music at Eastern Arizona College is pleased to announce its preparations for this year’s production of Handel’s Messiah. The 88th annual performance of this winter tradition will take place Sunday, December 10, 2023, at 7p.m., in the Fine Arts Auditorium. The performance will combine the community and alumni singers with students from the A Cappella Choir and Resonus, EAC’s tenor-bass choir. If you have your own Messiah score, you are welcome to use it and bring it to rehearsals.
Auditions for solo roles will occur at the end of our rehearsal on Tuesday, November 14. Organizers would like to showcase as many interested soloists as possible from both the college and community for this event.
Choir rehearsals are open to anyone who wishes to join. They will begin this October 17 and continue each week until the performance, as indicated by the schedule below:
- Tuesday, October 17, from 7:00-8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- Tuesday, October 24, from 7:00-8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- Also the day of Safford HS Choir concert. Please support them and see their concert in the David M. Player Center, then join us for the last part of rehearsal if you are able.
- Tuesday, November 7, from 7:00-8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- Tuesday, November 14, from 7:00-8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- Solo auditions after rehearsal on this date.
- Tuesday, November 21, from 7:00-8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- Tuesday, November 28, from 7:00-8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- Thursday, December 7, from 7:00-8:30 p.m. in the Fine Arts Auditorium (combined rehearsal with Orchestra)
- Saturday, December 9, from 2:00-5:00 p.m. in the Fine Arts Auditorium (full technical rehearsal)
- Sunday, December 10, at 6:00 p.m. (7:00 p.m. performance)
We will not hold rehearsals on the following dates:
- Tuesday, October 31 (Halloween)
- Tuesday, November 28 (Festival of Carols tech rehearsal)
- Tuesday, December 6 (orchestra rehearsal)
Individuals with questions about rehearsals or the performance may contact Dr. Gideon Burrows, show conductor, at 928-428-8464.